Wednesday 29 January 2014

Review: Somewhere to Dream (The MacDonnells #3) by Genevieve Graham

Somewhere to Dream (The MacDonnells #3) by Genevieve Graham
Source: Received an egalley from the publisher on Netgalley for an honest review.
Publisher: Berkley
Release Date: Already Released.
Number of Pages: 336 (Paperback)


Description from Goodreads:
From Genevieve Graham, author of Sound of the Heart, comes the tale of two strangers living with the Cherokee—one with a warrior’s heart; the other with deadly dreams…

The Cherokee call her Shadow Girl. A white woman adopted by Indians, Adelaide is haunted by the dark dreams she hides—of her murdered family, of the men she fears, and most of all, of the ones that foretell the future. After her visions cause her to make a terrible mistake, she renounces her power and buries her dreams deep in her soul.

Until Jesse Black is captured by the tribe. His life is spared because the Cherokee believe his warrior spirit belongs to their fallen brother. Though he hates all Indians, Adelaide illuminates their way of life for him, just as he shines light into her shadowed heart. But when her dreams return, Jesse must help her face them…or die trying…
Purchase Links: Amazon | B&N | iTunes | Kobo
Author Links: Website | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads

I read this one in the midst of my finals, and it was a very refreshing break from studying! It's been a while since I've read any historical romances, but I really enjoy them, so it was fantastic to pick one up and become immersed in Adelaide and Jesse's world.

This was my first time reading one of Genevieve Graham's books, but I have been meaning to start this series for quite some time...and with the release of Somewhere to Dream, I couldn't resist any longer. I made sure to squeeze in some reading time for it, and I'm so glad that I did! I was a bit lost at the beginning of the novel because this is the third in the series, but I was quickly brought up to speed and managed to figure it all out. I do wish I had read the other two books first, but that's more because I like reading books in serial order. I am extremely excited to go back and read Under the Same Sky and Sound of the Heart though because they sound fantastic...and the main male characters are Scottish...*hubba, hubba*. Jesse was awesome, don't get me wrong...but I have to admit that I have a major soft spot for Scottish accents. ;)

While reading Somewhere to Dream I was quickly wrapped up in the story. I loved seeing Adelaide and Jesse's relationship grow, and I really enjoyed the dynamics amongst them and amongst all of the members of the Cherokee tribe. I really enjoyed the book, but I must admit that I think I would've liked it even more if I had read the previous books first...I'm a huge fan of getting to see "cameos" of previous characters when reading a series like this, so I'm a bit sad that I missed out on that. For that reason alone, I'd recommend starting the series in the normal order...plus, you avoid spoilers that way. :P Even though I did read the books out of order, I still loved Adelaide and Jesse's amazing chemistry, and I loved seeing them open up and let each other in.

Overall, I really enjoyed Somewhere to Dream. I enjoyed getting to learn more about the mysterious Adelaide, and seeing Jesse immerse himself in the Cherokee culture. It was a wonderful story, and I'm really looking forward to going back and reading the first two books!

What do you think?
Are you a fan of historical romances?
Have you read any of Genevieve Graham's books yet?

2 comments:

  1. Heh, oh yes, I quite enjoy Scottish accents, too :D It's too bad that you maybe missed out on a few things by reading the series out of order, but hopefully you'll pick up on the significance of things you read in this book when you get to reading the first two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha glad I'm not the only one! ;D Ya, silly me to read them out of order, and I know I'll be spoiled for bigger events now, especially for the first book which has the main character Adelaide's sister as the MC, but I think it'll still be alright. And now maybe I'll get excited when I see glimpses of Adelaide instead of getting excited over Maggie in this one. haha :)

      Delete

Comments are like smiles. Free to give, but precious to receive. Thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment. I treasure every one. Also, check back! You'll probably find a reply. :D