Thursday 26 May 2011

Review: Divergent by Veronica Roth

Source: received an ARC from HarperCollins Canada for an honest review.
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Release Date: Already Released

I'm a huge dystopian fan, and I'd heard amazing things about Divergent before I read it, so I wasn't at all surprised when I read it and loved it! This is by far one of my favourite dystopian stories. It was so addictive and fast-paced! I seriously sat down to read a bit and didn't even notice that I'd already read through 200 pages, it was by far one of the most enjoyable books that I have read all year...strike that, ever!

The characters of Divergent were awesome. Tris was a fantastic main character, she was brave, smart, and self-sacrificing for the people she cared about. I absolutely loved reading from her point of view, she is definitely one of my favourite heroines. One of the things I loved was the fact that I never had one of those moments where I was like "What?! Why would she do that?!" with her, which is always nice, not all main characters are that believable. She was always in character, and I never felt like she strayed from who I as the reader thought she was. Four was another amazing character, I thought he was the bomb-freaking-diggity! I could gush about Four for a while, but I think he's one of those characters that everyone will like even more if he remains mysterious, so I'll let you all find out about him for yourselves. ;) Along with Tris and Four, was a cast of  amazing and interesting characters, like Will and Christina, and even the villainous characters like Peter and Eric were so well done. I may have hated them as characters, but I must admit they were fantastic at playing their roles.

Moving away from specific characters, I have to mention the factions! I loved learning about them, and I'm excited to learn even more about them in the next two books! There are five factions, each faction believes that a certain trait leads to a problems among humans and so they each oppose the trait they feel is responsible for conflict by dedicating their lives in favour of a helpful trait. The factions are Abnegation, Erudite, Dauntless, Amity and Candor. You can see their symbols in the image to the left.You can also see what they strive to be in the image, Abnegation=The Selfless, Erudite=The Intelligent, Dauntless=The Brave, Amity=The Peaceful, and Candor=The Honest. Like I said, I am so excited to learn more in the next two books. :)

I loved absolutely every moment of Divergent, and I will definitely be reading it again whenever I have the chance! I think that Divergent is one of those books that most people will love, especially fans of dystopia. I also think that if you're planning on getting into the dystopian genre, Divergent would be a fantastic first choice. And if you're not quite sure if you'll like it, or if you're super anxious to start it, you can read the first 100 pages of Divergent HERE.

I know not all people like book trailers, I like them sometimes, and sometimes I don't. I did like the Divergent one though, it was pretty exciting and it definitely makes you want to read the book, so here it is if you want to watch it. :)

Divergent Trailer:


Links:
Divergent's Facebook Page
The Divergent Trilogy Fansite
Tris' Twitter (From the Fansite)
Veronica Roth's Blog
Veronica's Twitter

So, if you couldn't tell by my review, I loved Divergent, and I definitely recommend it to pretty much anyone! What about you? Have you already read it, is it on your list, or are you not planning on reading it? I would love to hear your thoughts! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are like smiles. Free to give, but precious to receive. Thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment. I treasure every one. Also, check back! You'll probably find a reply. :D