Friday 23 December 2011

Review: Instinct (A Holloway Pack Story #0 - Prequel) by J.A. Belfield

 Source: Received an ebook from publisher for an honest review.
Release Date: January 1, 2012
Visit its page on the publisher website: Instinct

Description:
Werewolf Sean Holloway treats the village marketplace like a sexual buffet, though his charm does little to win over his latest entrĂ©e of choice. Whether because of Jem Stonehouse’s unique scent, her headstrong nonchalance, or the fact he is forbidden to see her by his pack’s rules, Sean wants her.

When Jem is nothing but flippant toward his advances, he pursues her with vigour, stealing moments alone with her without a libido-driven agenda.

The new and heady experience for him drives their relationship beyond romantic interest, and straight toward love.

That is, until Jem learns the truth about Sean’s heritage. Knowledge of the existence of werewolves leads to only one outcome: death.

In this prequel to Darkness & Light, we are taken back in time, to the very beginning of Jem and Sean’s love-across-the-centuries relationship.

Did it end there? Or did Sean defy his own pack to save the woman he loves?



Well, I'm sure it will come as no surprise that I loved Instinct. I have yet to read one of J.A. Belfield's books that I haven't liked, or loved actually...and if Sean's involved, it usually leads to an automatic love for me. (Although, I love me some Ethan, too, but I think everyone does really. ;D)

Instinct is a novella that predates Darkness and Light, it also predates the Sean and Jem from it...in fact, this novella shows the very first Sean and Jem. I love that we get to see Sean and Jem in a different time, and get to see them being completely different. Don't get me wrong, I love Darkness and Light Sean and Jem, but I'm also a huge sucker for past lives. :)

Sean is a big-time womanizer...seriously, he has a different lady every Tuesday...the one time his older brother (and alpha) lets him visit the market...until he meets Jem that is. :) Once Sean smells Jem's wonderful scent and lays eyes on her, he is a total goner. Other girls just don't appeal to him anymore, and he actually wants to...egad!...talk to a woman...while she still has clothes on. Blasphemy, but he does it. :P Okay, now I'm going to be serious. Sean pretty much does a 180 once he meets Jem, and the more time he spends with her, the more compelled he becomes. I loved falling in love with them. It was wonderful, and despite all of the things standing in their way, Sean is still determined to be with her. He's just so determined, and I love that about Sean...even if he is a total extremist. :P

One of the things that I found the most interesting about Instinct was that we get Sean's side of their love. In Darkness and Light, it's all Jem, so Instinct is almost a reversal in a sense, especially since Jem seems to be more hesitant one in their relationship. In Instinct, the circumstances are all different, and Jem is unsure, but a lot more willing to be with Sean...of course, she also doesn't have a husband already in this one. :P

I loved Instinct! It's a fantastic novella, and I think you could read it before or after Darkness and Light. It's really up to you, but personally, I liked having read Darkness and Light because it was kind of nice going from where they are now to looking back at where their relationship truly started. I completely recommend Instinct, and the rest of the books in the Holloway Pack series. I love this series, and I think that J.A. Belfield tells amazing werewolf stories. :D

Have you read any of J.A. Belfield's books yet? Thoughts on Sean?
Do you like werewolves? What about British werewolves...hmmm?
And, what do you think about past lives?

Happy Reading!!!

♪♫ Ambur

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great review! This book sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This review is just awesome. Once again, thanks so much for the amazing review, Ambur. :o)
    Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like smiles. Free to give, but precious to receive. Thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment. I treasure every one. Also, check back! You'll probably find a reply. :D