Tuesday 20 December 2011

Review: Static by Tawny Stokes

Static by Tawny Stokes
Source: I was provided a reviewer's copy by Bewitching Book Tours for an honest review.
Release Date: Already Released.
Number of Pages: 296 (Paperback)

                                     Blurb from Goodreads:
Be careful what you listen to....

During the summer before her senior year, 17 year old band groupie, Salem Vale, has been following her favorite punk rockers, Malice, from gig to gig hoping that one night she might get backstage and meet the sinisterly sexy guys. She’s been saving her virginity for the lead singer Thane. One fateful evening she gets her wish. It’s a dream come true.

Except the dream turns to a nightmare when she wakes up in a dumpster, tossed away like yesterday’s trash, with no memory of what happened the night before. She feels strange, different, as if something is trying to get out. Soon she realizes she’s changing…turning into something not quite human.

Now a hunger deep inside claws at her to feed, to siphon energy from those around her. Before she can do just that, Trevor, the band’s roadie shows up and stops her from killing. With his help she learns to control the hunger inside, because he’s just like her. And in return he wants her help to do one little thing…

Help him kill the members of Malice.



 I thoroughly enjoyed reading Static. It's a fast-paced story, with an incredibly unique paranormal aspect going on. I don't want to spoil you all by telling you what paranormal being Static involves, but it's definitely a rarity in YA, and Tawny even includes a mythical figure in it...again, I won't mention who, but I'll give you a hint...in most version of his myth, he's pretty tight with King Arthur. ;)

Salem was a fantastic main character, she was feisty, and had a personality that jumped right off of the page. I also totally sympathized with her obsession with Malice...I know I've been obsessed with a band or two, and I'm sure Salem and I aren't alone in that. I loved how even though she was changing, Salem didn't give up. She was scared, and she was confused, but once she had some guidance through Trevor, she knew what she was aiming for...although, she still had some moments where she freaked out, which I loved because it made her that much easier to relate to. Now, I've already mentioned Trevor, and you were probably like, "Trevor? Who's Trevor?" Well, Trevor is one of Malice's roadies, and he helps Salem through her transition...as he's been through it himself, he knows a little bit of what she's going through. :P

The plot of the book itself was awesome. I loved the whole music aspect, which was brief, but still stood out to me, and I especially loved the folklore that Tawny Stokes brought into the story as background to the type of paranormal being Malice was. The whole revenge aspect was also a win with me. I thought that the reason behind Trevor's desire for revenge was heartbreaking, and it fit incredibly well with the story, and I thought that Tawny did a great job exploring Trevor past, even though it was brief, I still felt like he was a well-developed character. The one aspect that I wasn't the biggest fan of was how the ending of the book progressed. There was a tonne of build up, but then when the big finale arrived, it was a bit rushed. I felt that it could have been played out for a little longer. Other than the ending being a bit rushed, I thought that it was fantastic. :)

Static is a story charged with live wire characters full of attitude. I'd recommend it to anyone who loves paranormal and is looking for something a little different, and also to anyone who loves characters with spunk. Plus, if you like a good revenge plot, you'll love this! 

Purchase Links:
Book Depository: UK / US
Amazon: UK / US / Canada
Barnes and Noble

Now, a couple of questions for you: 

Have you read Static, yet?
What kinds of paranormal beings would you like to see more of, and which ones are you tired of?
Any guesses on the mystery man I mentioned before? ;)

Happy Reading!!!

♪♫ Ambur

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are like smiles. Free to give, but precious to receive. Thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment. I treasure every one. Also, check back! You'll probably find a reply. :D