Friday 27 April 2012

Review: Sacrè Bleu by Christopher Moore

 Source: Received an egalley on Edelweiss
Publisher: Harper Collins
Release Date: Already Released.
Number of Pages: 416 (hardcover)

Blurb from Goodreads:
Absolutely nothing is sacred to Christopher Moore. The phenomenally popular, New York Times bestselling satirist whom the Atlanta Journal-Constitution calls, “Stephen King with a whoopee cushion and a double-espresso imagination” has already lampooned Shakespeare, San Francisco vampires, marine biologists, Death…even Jesus Christ and Santa Claus! Now, in his latest masterpiece, Sacre Bleu, the immortal Moore takes on the Great French Masters. A magnificent “Comedy d’Art” from the author of Lamb, Fool, and Bite Me, Moore’s Sacre Bleu is part mystery, part history (sort of), part love story, and wholly hilarious as it follows a young baker-painter as he joins the dapper Henri Toulouse-Lautrec on a quest to unravel the mystery behind the supposed “suicide” of Vincent van Gogh.



Christopher Moore's books are always good for a laugh, and Sacrè Blue is no exception! It was hilarious, and I was pretty much laughing my butt off on every single page! Plus, "poopstick" is now my favourite insult, and it's just so fun to say! haha :P

I don't know much about art to be honest, but I found Sacrè Bleu to be a thoroughly enjoyable read. It was funny, and it felt informative to me. It's obvious that Christopher Moore took creative liberty with the lives of the artists, and with all of the instances with The Colorman and Bleu, but I loved how they all fit together and how they honestly seem really realistic. It's easy to forget that painters and artists in history were people too, but after reading this, I doubt I'll forget again. While reading Sacrè Bleu it felt like I was getting to know these artists, and eventually I started to feel like I'd known them for years. :D I love when you read a book and the characters start to feel like old friends, and Mr.Moore is fantastic at doing that!

The story itself was amazing! I really liked Lucien, and while he isn't an actual painter from history like the other painters, I still believed that he could have been one. I really liked him, he was a baker by day and a painter whenever he had the time. :D I also really enjoyed Henry Toulouse Lautrec. He cracked me up, and boy did he like going to the brothel! :P haha While he was a total poopstick and I didn't like him, The Colorman was still an awesome character. He was so ridiculous, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who was cracking up over his penis jokes. Then there's Juliette, also known as Bleu and countless other aliases. She was such an interesting character! I loved the whole history between her and The Colorman, and it was incredibly intriguing trying to figure everything out. I also absolutely loved Bleu's sass, she was so fun and I have her to thank for my new favourite term, poopstick! :P lol

Overall, I loved Sacre Bleu! I found it hilarious, and I recommend it if you're in need, or if you just want, a really good laugh. Some of the jokes are a bit crude, there are swear words, and it covers some pretty mature topics, so I'd recommend this for adults or even older teens if you're comfortable with all that. It didn't bother me, but I know that some people aren't a fan of all that, so I'm letting you all know. :)

Are you a fan of Christopher Moore?
If you've read any of his books, what did you think?
And if you haven't, what are you waiting for?!

2 comments:

  1. I've been keeping my eyes peeled for your review of this one, Ambur! I'm a Moore fan, although I haven't read this one yet.

    My favourite Moore book is A Dirty Job. If you haven't read it yet, you need to pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Awe, I hope you liked my review then. ;) I love him, too. He's great! :D

      I haven't read that one yet, but I have heard amazing things about it, and with your praise I'll definitely have to pick it up soon! :D

      Delete

Comments are like smiles. Free to give, but precious to receive. Thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment. I treasure every one. Also, check back! You'll probably find a reply. :D