Tuesday 25 September 2012

Review: The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Source: Purchased.
(I don't have this cover...but I think it's adorable, so I'm using it ;D haha)
Publisher: MTV Books and Pocket Books
Release Date: Already Released.
Number of Pages: 213 (Paperback)

Blurb from Goodreads:
Standing on the fringes of life... offers a unique perspective. But there comes a time to see what it looks like from the dance floor.

This haunting novel about the dilemma of passivity vs. passion marks the stunning debut of a provocative new voice in contemporary fiction: The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

This is the story of what it's like to grow up in high school. More intimate than a diary, Charlie's letters are singular and unique, hilarious and devastating. We may not know where he lives. We may not know to whom he is writing. All we know is the world he shares. Caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it puts him on a strange course through uncharted territory. The world of first dates and mixed tapes, family dramas and new friends. The world of sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, when all one requires is that perfect song on that perfect drive to feel infinite.

Through Charlie, Stephen Chbosky has created a deeply affecting coming-of-age story, a powerful novel that will spirit you back to those wild and poignant roller coaster days known as growing up.



Wow...this book was amazing. There were so many subjects in it that made your really think, and empathize with the characters. It's seriously such a moving story.

Charlie has such a unique voice, and his perspective is so innocent, yet convoluted at the same time. I'm just in awe of this book. It's told in the format of letters to an anonymous person, addressed as "Dear friend" in the letters and Charlie isn't even really the main character's name...and all of the characters' names aren't their names either! I think that the anonymity really changes your whole perspective on the book, and it allows Charlie to be so open about everything that he says. The letters also add such a personal effect, and you feel as if you're the anonymous person that Charlie's chosen to write to (even though he clearly is writing to a guy, I still felt like I was the one being addressed). I found Charlie's voice so touching, and so honest. I couldn't help but be moved by everything in the story. It touches on serious topics, and some taboo things that people don't always want to hear about...even though we all know they're there, but I really appreciated Charlie's perspective. He treats the reader as a friend, and when something is unclear he clarifies for you. In some cases, you know more of what something means than Charlie, and I think his innocent perspective in those cases really make the story even more powerful.

I wanted to read this even before I knew they were making it into a movie, but I'm so glad that the film is coming out and has pushed me to read it before I see the film. It'll be interesting how the filmmakers choose to adapt this book to film though. It covers a lot of serious subject matter, and the format could be tricky, but I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what they've done with it. I'd definitely recommend this book, even if you aren't planning on seeing the film. This story is incredibly touching, and will definitely challenge your perspectives and make you think about how you live you life. Do you sit back or do you stand out?

Have you already read The Perks of Being a Wallflower? Thoughts?
If you haven't read it, do you plan to?
And since it's almost in theatres...are you planning on seeing the movie?

12 comments:

  1. It's been a while since I've visited your blog. Your layout is super duper bright now! :D I really dislike film-tie in covers but this one is certainly adorable (and it doesn't hurt that the leads are cute). I have the original cover and I STILL have not read it. I tried reading it a while ago and it didn't click. I'll definitely be trying it again though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I made my background, header, and button myself. :) It was fun! :D Ya, I usually do, too, but this one is awesome! haha It definitely doesn't hurt. :D

      I'm glad to hear that, and hopefully you click with it this time. I did find that the beginning was a bit jarring at first because I wasn't expecting it to be in letters, and Charlie's voice is pretty formal at first, but I think that's just the kind of guy he is, so hopefully you'll warm up to him next time. :)

      Delete
  2. Great review, Ambur! Now I can't wait to dig into this one ... it really sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristilyn! :D It was great! I hope you think it is, too. :)

      Delete
  3. Eeep! I'll be reading this one this weekend! I can't wait now. I love the idea of all the anonymity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! :D I hope you love it, too, Jenni! :D I really liked the whole anonymity aspect...it was so well done! :D

      Delete
  4. I love the cover for this one!! I haven't read it yet, but I really want to! Great review! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Leanne! :D I hope you get to soon then! :D Thanks, Leanne! :D

      Delete
  5. I hope to read or possibly listen to this one this weekend (just in time for the movie)! Can't wait. I, too, have been meaning to read this book for a long, long time, before the movie. Now I have the perfect excuse to squeeze it into my reading schedule. I really love the way it's written - very unique! And I think the message would really resonate with me, as well... I'm definitely the "sit back" kind of person rather than the "stand out" kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha exactly! ;D I do, too. It's so unique. I don't always like different structure, but usually I dislike the ones that are really weird grammatically or have no punctuation...but this structure I really enjoyed. :D I'm the same way most of the time, so I definitely agree. :) It's really amazing when a book can resonate with you like that, too. I hope you enjoy it, Aylee, and I'm looking forward to meeting you at the movie. :D

      Delete
  6. Great review - I definitely want to read this one now. I can't like - I like that it's a short book too ;) I'm so jealous you guys get to go to the premiere of this movie! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! :D I'm glad I nudged you into "definitely" wanting to read it. :D That was very nice for me with school to be honest! It was like...oh, well this book is short, so it's okay to read in between school readings. :P haha Awe, well it would've been awesome if you could've come, but hopefully you'll be having a great time in Nova Scotia. :) I'm pretty excited for it! :D

      Delete

Comments are like smiles. Free to give, but precious to receive. Thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment. I treasure every one. Also, check back! You'll probably find a reply. :D